Old School Music Friday


How can you talk about Black Cinema music and not talk about Curtis Mayfield? It's impossible really, they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

My selection this week is a song from "Superfly", one of my favorite films from the "blackexploitation era" (a term that I am not really big on). I love looking at 70's archives, the fros, the clothes; it's all very interesting to me.

Erykah Badu just used this sample for her song "Master Teacher" from her new CD "Amerykah", which is my favorite cut on that joint by far. All hail the Mayfield....




For a completely different and unusual take on this song, check out black punk(?) band Fishbone's version. I used to see these dudes around LA...they were good guys, but they really let it go it their shows, that's for sure....and that's not a bad thing: