Ten Films You Should See If You Love Black People

FILM 6
from the Ebony/Jet site by Jacquie Jones:

Kasi Lemons

The first time I saw this movie, I was honestly not too impressed. The second time, however, it got me. And I think this says a lot about the subtle power of this first feature by one of our most talented contemporary black filmmakers. This is one of the rare films that tries to reach into mystical African retentions and our nostalgia for the swampy south and actually succeeds in telling a story that feels very real and complex. It is also one of the rare films that pulls off being black and being Hollywood, albeit low budget.


From IW: This has always been in my personal top ten. For one, I love films about the supernatural---and it's black too? Over.

The clothes, the mood, the set design, the storyline, the beautiful actors...I love everything about this movie. Just wish more were made of it's caliber.