Reader Comments, Emails, And Reviews....

Sometimes I write about someone or one of their projects, and they will leave a comment or send an email. You would think that it would make me watch what I say, but sadly, it doesn't, haha!

Got this from Pete Chatmon, the director of the movies I talked about the other day--"Premium" and "761st":

IW --

What's good!

I had to drop a comment after learning about your wonderful blog here. I also saw Mr. Obenson's presence and felt I'd be in good company to join the board.

I appreciate the Premium shout out and 761st joint too. Spike actually showed it to the actors while they were in Italy and before filming began on Miracle to give them an idea of what those men really went through from their own words. He gave me a pound and said "good work...that's good work" so I felt pretty good that day I ran into him.

Thanks for the 'hottie' love too...I can live with the "kind of" (from IW: umm, Awk.Ward!). Check my community site
http://double7film.com/community/ as well as my company website at http://www.double7film.com/ where you can see what we've got cooking. I'm gonna add you to the Double 7 World blogroll as well..

If you haven't peeped the 761st trailer, you can visit www.761st-movie.com or my YouTube page at www.youtube.com/double7film.

OK...so enough already with the links. Keep doing what you are doing and much respect and appreciation for taking the time to not only watch Premium...but drop a note on how you felt. In the words of the great orator Sean Carter:

"...all I ever wanted to be was wealthy // or // have somebody tell me that they felt me..."

Can't remember the song, but tight words from Jigga.

Be Well!

Pete Chatmon


From IW: Thanks for the info Pete--wishing you much success on your endeavors--I can tell you'll be a major Hollywood force very soon.


Next up is from reader cdnyc07, who sends me great nuggets from time to time:
IW,

I thought you might appreciate this:

"And Beyonce Knowles doesn't seem to have splurged on acting lessons since her wooden turn in "Dreamgirls." From the second she enters the film as the tempestuous James, you want to see her sing "At Last," then get out. No amount of wigs and padding can transform her."


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_en_mo/film_review_cadillac_records;_ylt=Ai_9Aju5M9l.wHYuysIfHZAwFxkF
Nic

From IW: Dang! That's kinda what I was expecting tho. What I wasn't expecting was this from Sergio, of all people:


IW

Just came from a screening of the film and guess what...It's really terrific! I have no idea why the studio is treating it like it's radioactive barely promoting the film when they have a real winner on their hands. (the audience I sa wit with LOVED it and gave a big round of applause)

It's very well crafted, slickly made (the photography practically gleams) and the performances are across the board fantastic. Columbus Short at Little Walter and Mos Def (not one of my favorites who's always come to me like he's channeling Stephin Fetchit) are excellent but the acting honors go to Eamonn Walker who really scary at times as Howling Wolf and of course Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters It's without question his most standout performance since Basquiat.

And the big question of course is how is Beyonce? Naturally she's not vying for any great thespian of the century awards, but I honestly think she's really good as Etta James. She sings her heart out, swears a blue streak (I had no idea she could cuss like that unless she was screaming at hubby Camel Face) and incredibly sexy. And this is from someone who thought of her an just another overmarketed, mediocre singer who's cute but left me cold

And the film was written and directed by Darnell Martin (who's directed a ton of TV episodes including Law and Order and Life on Mars and Oprah's Their Eyes Were Watching God), one of the few African-American female directors to direct a studio backed feature, so why haven't I seen any interviews with her about the film? Strange. This is exactly the kind of film that Oprah should be promoting on her show unless she has already. (Since I'm a guy I would rather slit my throat than see her show)

I'm anxious to hear what you and your readers say about the film

Sergio


From IW: Surprising indeed, But I'd heard that Jeffery and Mos Def were truly bringing it in the movie. Let's hope Sergio wasn't hypnotized by the power of the booty, as they say!

Btw, Sergio-you live in Chicago and Oprah gets no love? Harsh :-)

I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about the movie--I love when you guys tell me how you feel about a film. If anyone sees it over the weekend, please drop a comment!