An Ode To David Mills....


Last week, David Mills passed away at 48. For those of you who don't know, David lived the life that a lot of writers only dream of...he wrote for The Washington Post, and then moved on to TV as a writer and/or producer for Homicide: Life In The Streets, E.R., Kingpin, The Corner, NYPD Blue, The Wire, and the upcoming HBO series "Treme".

He was also my blogging mentor, and one of the reasons that I didn't quit blogging numerous times. His site "Undercover Black Man" was one of the first blogs I read regularly. I don't remember how I found him, but at the time he was doing a series called "Giant Negroes", about the ridiculous claims and sightings by whites of "Giant Negroes" in the late 19th and early 20th century. I found it interesting and amusing. Of course that is what sums up David perfectly--interesting and amusing. With the last part of the trifecta being inspirational.

David has inspired, outraged, entertained, and taught a whole throng of Black creative thinkers in the blogging community. Through him, I found many people who think and exist the way I do, when previously I thought that I might be isolated in my mindset. He frequently featured me in his "Blog In The Spotlight", which always gave me joy. All of my life people have told me that I should write as a living, but I never felt true validity until being under David's watch, and that's real. I even started a thing called "The Negro Justice League" on this blog that included David, which amused him very much.

When I read that David passed, it hit me hard, more than anyone, except maybe Michael Jackson. Strike that--it was akin to Michael because of its suddenness, its shock through the heart, and the mourning of a loss of huge talent and genuine artistic integrity. I was shaken up in ways that I did not expect in his passing.

I waited a while to post this, as I wanted to be careful about what I said, and do a justifiable legacy to him. It is apropos that I am writing this on Easter, as he will always be resurrected in many a heart and mind. I feel the best way to pay him tribute is to begin blogging regularly again, at least for a little while. Cause you know what? One of the thoughts that would pass through my mind almost daily was that I knew David was checking for new posts on this blog and there were none. And that, in and of itself, will always make me feel special.

Will always miss you, David...