Oscar Sunday This N' That....

:Let me get this out right away...if you are looking for news, commentary, and coverage on the Oscars, this is not the place to go. I make no secret of my distaste for award shows...the fact that "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead" didn't get one Oscar nod, and "Juno" did pretty much puts the final nail in an already tightly sealed coffin for me..


I wonder why the secret "Black Oscars" decided to stop meeting the year before a sympathy nod goes to Ruby Dee and "Norbit" gets a nod for make-up. That's it for our community this year, as far as I know--doesn't really seem like progress to me. From The Obenson Report:

Did You Know...

... From around 1982 until 2007, African-American actors, directors, producers and executives held a secret ceremony on the night before Oscar night, to celebrate black performers, calling the event, the Black Oscars. Every talent, from the likes of Samuel L. Jackson to Will Smith, participated in this event, which was considered a moment for black Hollywood to honor its own. In 2007, the "Friends of the Black Oscars," the secretive group that sponsored the event, decided that the Black Oscars had finally become obsolete, thanks in large part to the recent increases in the presence of black performers in the race for Oscar - Halle Berry, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Eddie Murphy, Jennifer Hudson, Will Smith and Djimon Hounsou, notably.

From IW: Interesting.




Speaking of Obenson, he and I will be on Afronerd Radio tonight (Sunday), giving our thoughts on Ofay Oscar (my view) and Black Cinema's early days. It will be on at 8pm EST, and if you'd like to call in and give your thoughts and opinions as well the number is 646-915-9620. For more info click HERE. Take a listen if you are anti-Oscar, or if you just need a little break from the BS fest.



And speaking of podcasts, I got this in my email (thanks Slaus!):

NPR's Tony Cox talks with Neema Barnette — director of Civil Brand and All You've Got — and actor/director Kasi Lemmons, whose films include Eve's Bayou and Talk to Me, about the challenges they face and the unique perspective they bring to the big-screen.

Take a listen to this clip:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19234733&ft=1&f=11


IW: Invisiblewoman says check it out. Me love Kasi Lemmons.




The wonderful blog "
Charcoal Ink" had an new twist on Hattie McDaniel (who most write off as a tired mammy stereotype) as the first Black to win an Academy Award:


"The Oscars are this Sunday and I was thinking about the ceremony and the symbolism of having an Oscar. Hattie McDaniel was the first black person ever to receive one and
according to imdb.com, she may have been the first African-American woman to sing on radio.

Here are some other McDaniel facts from imdb.com:

- She willed her Oscar to Howard University, but the Oscar was lost during the race riots at Howard during the 1960s. It has never been found.

- Despite the fact
Clark Gable played a joke on her during the filming of Gone with the Wind (1939) (he put real brandy in the decanter instead of iced tea during the Bonnie Blue birth celebration scene), McDaniel and Gable were actually good friends. Gable later threatened to boycott the premiere in Atlanta because McDaniel was not invited, but later relented when she convinced him to go.

She was also quoted saying “I’d rather play a maid than be one.”

This woman is so incredibly important. Of course, she played stereotypical characters that are cringe worthy but you can actually see that she was just an amazing actress and what if she had been given better material ? Who knows — to survive such racism and make your mark none the less is commendable and admirable."




And last, but by no means least, I received a "Spread The Love" award from Vanessa at Vanessa Unplugged.!

I love her for this, sincerely, cause what she wrote on her blog is almost identical to how I feel. I was in the mode this week of chucking this blog, and just starting a semi-political one, as I sometimes grow weary of the haterade (completely unwarrented), the link competitions that I get mysteriously dropped from, etc. I just love film and don't really want to get caught up in the side effects of blogging. If I do, though, of course it's nobodies fault but my own.

But when someone takes time out of their day to show you love, and demonstrate that they appreciate what you do, whether it's an award, an email, or a comment, it regenerates your batteries like the Energizer Bunny. And I give thanks for that, y'all.

I want to spread the love for folks that have shown mad love to me lately:

Mrs Grapevine

The Black Actor

Danielle

Ms. Marvelous

Qadree

Darkbrotha

The Oh Hell Nawl! crew

An award back to Vanessa too for her other blog :-)


I would give one to Sergio, but he doesn't have a blog (hint, hint). You guys can post the award on your blog and spread some love too, if you're so inclined. To these beautiful people and to my wonderful readers, have a fantastic day!