Trying To Cover "This Christmas", But...


I've been very lethargic about posting my experiences and opinions regarding black films and festivals as of late. I created this blog to speak of such things, as I thought they lacked proper coverage, but haven't given a lot of first person as I should.

Example: I went to a premiere of "This Christmas" the other day and didn't mention it yet. Yes, everybody and their momma was there, and I hadn't written about it. I think it's because I am so disappointed in film these days, not just Black Cinema, but in every genre. It seems people just throw a story together, get some high profile names and faces together, and call it a day. My favorite types of films are either witty, brilliant comedy (it can be lowbrow; one of my favorite movies is "Friday") or it has to have strong character development. Though the former can be found sometimes, the latter is severely lacking in today's films, and sad to say especially black film.

I think that was why I couldn't wholeheartedly love "American Gangster", "Why Did I Get Married?", and "This Christmas". I love a large Black Hollywood cast, yes, and I will always support, but I feel that we should be getting more for our support. Writers and directors should take the time to let us know the characters' backgrounds, what motivates them, what brought them to this point. It gives a story texture and richness, and allows it to be something that can be viewed decades from now with the same interest, i.e. Scorcese. You can still watch "The Godfather" and "Goodfellas", and whether it's your first time watching it or your 50th, it is still just as good and just as riveting. In another vein, I can quote every line of "Friday" verbatim. If you're not up to the task, at least make it engaging.

My point is, black filmmakers should not just rely on our allegiance for support in making a black film. Take the time to craft a story that will stand the test of time, one that we will want to rewatch 10 years from now. Having half of Black Hollywood in a movie is not enough, you have to give more. That way, our film festivals, our premieres, our stories will be paid attention to and taken seriously, giving us the Hollywood power we so deserve. It doesn't have to have a 30 million dollar budget, just thoughtfulness and genuine intent.