Still Not Surprising....


Okay...so yesterday a few people got all "sensitive" about what I said about these screenwriters...they said that the writer writes, and then along come the producers, directors, casting directors, etc. to eff it up.

Let me tell you a story.

When I worked at the studio That Will Henceforth Remain Unnamed (TWHRU), I worked on a film that the screenwriter was constantly bitching that the director (who I worked for) was twisting his script to hell in a handbasket. So much so, that he officially took his name off the film and had some fake name on the credits. Let me interject that this dude (black) was a complete and total a-hole, and the film turned out fine, with no coonery, and I haven't heard about that elitist diva since. Sometimes a director can turn out a fine film in spite of the writer with his "vision".

On the other end of the spectrum, it was my job to pitch scripts for my (black) production company to these honchos at this major (white) studio, and like I said before, they shot all of the good, positive, black ones down like the Taliban.

I say this because I KNOW it is a challenge to even get your script read in Hollywood, much less greenlit. And it is even a bigger challenge to get the dozens of folks involved to stay close to your vision...unless....

-You have no vision to begin with, and are just trying to make a quick buck on some bulls--t.

-You are pandering to the low expectations of these studios and all they represent. The bottom line is that you want to live "Hollywood", say you are a "screenwriter" and get paid, and will sell your shriveled soul to do it.

And yes, there are many factors involved about why a film wins or loses. But it is also about the intent in the beginning, and you can talk to me from now till Armageddon and you'll never convince me that the white dudes who wrote "Who's Your Caddy?" had any noble intent for even 3 seconds. David Talbert too. "Let's get a mixed pot of black actors and an 8th degree script, and we'll make a ton of dough...those Negroes don't care, and they're not smart enough to notice. And who cares what the critics think when I'm driving my Lamborghini?"

Well guess what f--ckers? We DO CARE. And we ARE noticing. And sorry, it is not enough that we have a few Black screenwriters "with varying of degrees success" (and I use the term "varying" loosely) as one commenter put it, no disrespect to the person who commented. And I feel the same way about every single film on my "Worst Of 2007" list.

I didn't accept the racist condescension in front of the Hollywood decision makers then, and I don't accept it now. "WE" (non-sellouts) have to start writing, and getting paid for, "OUR" stories. And we should not stop trying. Period.

Check this comment from TAO of the Obenson Report that he left on theblackactor blog:

It's worth noting, if you haven't already mentioned it on your blog, that Robert Johnson's so-called film studio (Our Stories Films Inc) which brought us the masterpiece that was WHO'S YOUR CADDY, is currently in pre-production for their next outing entitled, MISSION INTOLERABLE, starring Mr Pimp Chronicles himself, Katt Williams. But here's the kicker - the film was written AND will be directed by white men.

So, Our Stories Films, supposedly created to provide opportunities for black talent, both in front and behind the cameras, introduces itself to the world by making its first two releases, Caucasoid creations. Robert Johnson is an imbecile... a rich imbecile, but an imbecile nonetheless. I dedicated an entire podcast to Mr. Johnson and his "studio" a few months ago, after I first learned of Our Stories Films Inc. It was more of an extended rant, but something had to be said. I'll touch on this a little more on next week’s show, as I’ve got a few more specifics. It’s truly maddening, but I’ve come to expect very little from Robert Johnson and those of his ilk.

I also hosted an episode last year during which I detailed the rather pathetic list of black films released theatrically in 2007. And yes, it truly was pathetic!!! I think there were about 9 or 10 films out of more than 400 total studio releases. I should mention that my definition of a black film was/is somewhat stringent.

From IW: You may officially marinate in this.