MMM (mini movie marathon)...

I went on one of my MMM's the other day--I'll talk about them in relevance to the subject matter of this blog.

The first one I'll keep short and sweet; "Volver" starring Penelope Cruz. It garnered a great amount of hype, most of it revolving around Penelope's performance. I wasn't buying into it, but if the movie is right there on your TV for free, and there's nothing else on, why not?

I must say, I was deeply impressed. Pedro Almodovar has to be one of the greatest storytellers in our history, and I always become completely immersed in all of his films--so far as to say I usually forget I'm watching one until it's over--it has me that involved. Cruz does seem to be a genuine actress despite my misgivings...it is a story of deep family secrets, what loneliness and betrayal can manifest, and how family ties, no matter how eroded, can be healed with kind words, understanding, and genuine love. Despite the description, it was by no means a "chick flick" (which I loathe). I highly recommend it.


Next up is another film I should have seen way before now--the South African movie"Tsotsi". Tsotsi is an African term for thug, or gangster, and is the name of the anti-hero in this film. In a nutshell, Tsotsi car jacks a wealthy woman, and when she protests, he shoots her in the stomach. As he drives away, he discovers that her infant son is in the back in a car seat. For reasons unknown even to him at the time, he takes the baby boy home with him.

This is not a perfect film, but it is an arresting one. Through the baby, Tsotsi finds his way from a hardcore, unapologetic criminal life to one of redemption, compassion, conscience, and consequence. I would have liked more backstory, and a bit more of what lead him to redemption, but considering the choices in films we have these days, I'll take what I can get. The performances are natural, understated, and completely affecting---the actors don't seem like actors at all, but regular folks plucked to be in this film. Think "City Of God"....if you enjoyed that one, you'll definitely get what Tsotsi is aiming for. I recommend this one as well.


We'll save the most questionable for last, which is "Divine Intervention". I confess, I sometimes have this morbid curiosity to view some DVD's that look like complete and total garbage. I think it's the same gene that makes me look at stuff like "New York Goes To Hollywood" on VH1, and "The Real Housewives of Atlanta".

Anyhoo, Wesley Jonathan is a very young guy who takes the place of the very older guy as pastor of a church. Shenanigans ensue. Honestly, there is not much to say beyond that, except for the women in the congregation's relationships with God seemed to be in direct linear context with how low their cleavages go. I didn't know if it was a church or Magic City (if you don't know what Magic City is, ask your nearest Southern friend or relative).

Oh yeah, Jazmine Lewis' acting skills seem to consist of how many ways she can style her hair in one week, and it is beyond sad to see the once promising Cynda Williams reduced to being Luenell's sidekick as a weedsmokin' heathen of the church (screen time about 8 minutes). Wesley Jonathan has a way of delivering his lines like he's talking to someone in real life, and trust me, in this context, it is not a good thing. This one is not even worthy of purchase from the bootleg blanket. Lord let us pray....