My Favorite Movies A to Z....

My after-election collapse/exhaustion has left me with not much desire to blog, so I'll do something fun--some movie news and shananigans tomorrow. I think we're all in the mood for fun for a while....

Speaking of fun, party-poopers, can you go away for a time? I'm speaking of the whole new ridiculous campaigns over D.L .Hughley's CNN show, and the rumblings over David Alan Grier's "Chocolate News". Hey--here's a solution: if you don't like them, DON'T WATCH THEM. Radical concept, yes? Personally, I can't see why all of the controversy is focused on them, while the old ass, tired, and soggy stereotypes of "The Carlos Mencia Show" and the absolutely horrible "Tony Rock Project" are still at large and completely unchallenged. Go figure.


We complain about not having enough Blacks on TV, and after the first airing of a show we jump all over it like pitbulls. Lean back, okay? How about gettin' some lovin', or a hobby, or both? Besides, I'm sure Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy have all done/said something offensive to someone at some point in their careers. Not that DAG or D.L. are nearly as funny as those dudes in their prime, but I'm just sayin'.


Wow, that was a detour tangent from this post... Anyhoo, I was tagged by reelwhore (the only person alive who watches more movies than I do, I think) to come up with the ABC's of my favorite films, called "The Alphabet Meme", started by Blog Cabins. Some were tough, cause I could think of more than one per letter that I really love or admire, and others were tough cause I couldn't think of any! Let me know what you think of my list...

A An American Werewolf in London

B Black Caesar

C Claudine/Crimes and Misdemeanors (sorry, couldn't choose!)

D Donnie Brasco

E Eve's Bayou

F Friday

G Grease

H Half Nelson

I It's A Mad. Mad, Mad, Mad, World

J Juwanna Mann (yeah, I said it!)

K Kill Bill 1 & 2

L Let's Make Love

M Made

N Nights Of Cabiria (Fellini)

O Omega Man, The

P Planet Of The Apes (original)

Q Queen, The

R Requiem For A Dream

S Saturday Night Fever

T Toy Story

U Uptown Saturday Night

V V For Vendetta

W What's Up Doc? (B. Streisand)

X "X" (Spike Lee)

Y You Only Live Twice (James Bond)

Z Zoolander

Okay, these are obviously all over the place, and obviously not all Black Cinema. And certainly they are my "favorites" and not exactly what I consider "best", though a few of them are what I consider excellent filmmaking. Anyone who would have Juwanna Mann (probably my biggest movie guilty pleasure) and Fellini on the same list obviously has a method to their madness...

Mine was this: even though I see tons of movies all the time, I almost never, ever, watch anything more than once. This is a list of films I've seen several times, some of them I actually bought, or watch every time they come on TV. It was just based on that and nothing else, as if I see a movie more than once I must really like it. I'm sure if I thought about it for a couple days, the list might have been different, but these were off the top of my head. So there you have it :-)

UPDATE: Oh I forgot, I am supposed to tag 5 others for this meme, so y'all put your lists on your blogs:

Solshine from Think Virtue!/Reel Artsy

The Marvalus One

Mr. Happy Go Lucky Bachelor

Urban Thought from Urban Observation (you better do it!)

and Ehav Ever, my Black Jewish brother in Israel.