Let Me Know...What Are Your Favorite Black Films?


O.K. Listen up. I am going to be taking a sabbatical in North Carolina (whassup Blogxilla and Bohemian Hippie Chick!) to write and chill. I have to get things together here in S.F., so posting may be spotty or not at all over the next couple of days.

In the meantime, I would really, really, like to have a readers poll of the Top 10 Best Black Films. I got the idea from Mrs. Grapevine, who commented that there was a college poll of the 10 best films of all time, and none of them were black (she nominates Sparkle and Lady Sings The Blues). I kinda forgave these kids cause they are probably young and dumb. This is the list, from ten to one:

Garden State
Gladiator
The Departed
Office Space
Fight Club
The Boondock Saints
Old School
Anchorman (?!)
The Notebook
Wedding Crashers

See what I mean? I mean, I might be able to get with The Departed, and I know Office Space is a college classic, but The Boondock Saints and and Old School? Pure college cult tomfoolery. There must be at least one black film that's better than those, even "Car Wash".

Anyhoo, Just Judith cosigned. This is a list that she did early on in her blogging career of the Top
25 Black Films. She proposed an interesting question....what makes a black film "black" is it a black director, a black cast? That is a good question, as most people would automatically say a black cast. But "Hustle and Flow" is considered a black film, and was directed by a non black.
Here is JJ's list:

Boomerang
Jerry Maguire
Colley High
Glory
Coming to America
Love & Basketball
Boyz 'N The Hood
The Color Purple
Do The Right Thing
House Party (original only)
Let's Do It Again/Uptown Saturday Night (that's 2 films Judith, recount! :-) )
What's Love Got To Do With It
Sparkle (on the list thanks to the soundtrack)
Claudine
Malcolm X
Ray
Devil In A Blue Dress (agreed with the Cheadle comment JJ)
Eve's Bayou (one of my faves)
Hoop Dreams
Def By Temptation
Fresh (another one of my faves)
Jackie Brown
Soul Food
Love Jones

One reason I want a list that reflects our community is that stankonia AFI top 100 films of all times. Pure BS. I posted what I thought about their unapologetic invisibility list here when I first started blogging.

Please leave your votes in the comment section....you can list one or two or ten or twenty, any # of your favorite black films. They can be from the year 1900 to 2007. I'll give the results at the end of the week, then post them on the sidebar and leave it up until next year (hopefully I'll still be blogging). I appreciate everyone who responds...cheers!