On The Black/Bi-Racial Thing...


There has been some talk going around the Black Blogosphere on a little ditty called "I'm Bi-Racial, Not Black, Damn It!", a documentary about those of bi-racial heritage not wanting to be placed in the "Black" box. It has opened up an internet debate, of sorts, some saying that there is self-hatred involved, others saying that they empathize.



I have been doing some market research for a film starring Maya Rudolph, and I have found the situation a bit interesting. She is one of the leads, and her husband is white. Her being "Black" or even "bi-racial" never really comes up in the film, as it also is never an issue with Rashida Jones and her white co-leads. Their films are marketed to white audiences in general; think "Away We Go" and the comedy "I Love You, Man". Both films that I found very enjoyable.


For those of you that don't know, Maya Rudolph is the daughter of the late soul singer Minnie Ripperton, and Rashida Jones is the daughter of super-producer Quincy Jones. Unlike Halle, who is bi-racial but darker, their race never really comes up, and they assimilate with no fanfare. Do you think they get work that Black actresses seem to be pining for because of their complexion or because of their talent?

Just out of curiosity, as this has absolutely nothing to do with the film I'm working with, I have this little poll going. Please leave your thoughts on this whole new dust-up on the Black/bi-racial thing in the comments if can--I'd like to hear what you think.